Kutaisi - a town in western Georgia. Located on both banks of the Rioni River at an altitude of 125-300 m above sea level. The population of 186.0 thousand people. (2002) Kopitnari Airport is located 14 km from the city.
The first mention in history belongs to the VI-III centuries BCE. From 806 – capital of the Abkhazian kingdom. Before liberation Tbilisi (1122) from the Seljuk Turks was the residence of the Georgian kings. In XV century the center of Imereti. In 1760 was conquered by the Turks and released by Russian and Imeretiya troops in 1770. In 1810 he joined the Russian Empire from 1811 to 1840 was the center of Imereti region. Since 1846, the center of Kutaisi Province.
The city of Kutaisi – the former capital of the kingdom of Kolkhida. It is a land of ancient culture and rich history. In Greek mythology there was not only the wealth of the kings of Colchis, but neither the incomparable nature of Colchis.From the mountain Sataplia offer a scenic view of the city of Kutaisi and in the entire valley of the river Rioni until Ajara-Imereti Mountains.
Hard to believe that tens of millions of years ago our
planet was the kingdom of dinosaurs. On all continents found their fossilized bones and eggs. Scientists managed to restore the approximate shape of these amazing animals. Struck by their diversity: prey and herbivores, reptiles and floating in the sky, huge, like ships, and miniature, like a squirrel. Only the unusual coincidence of the natural environment preserved in the cave”Sataplia” their tracks. These unique finds on Earth – very few. Over two hundred tracks of large dinosaurs keep limestone slabs. It beggars belief that not even thousands, and millions of years ago, three-fingered hands of these giants are imprinted in the coastal mud of an ancient sea.
Interestingly the formation of stalactites and stalagmites. It is little change in temperature or the content of carbon dioxide underground, as the water starts to separate and settle on the vaults, the walls and floor of the cave microscopic calcareous particles. It has gradually increased, taking strange shapes, hanging from the ceiling of the cave. This stalactites. Falling under the influence of gravity, a drop of water is sprayed, and dissolved in calcite deposited on large areas of the floor of the cave. So there are stalagmites.
Almost everything that we see in the cave formed by water. This is the solution and washed away small
cracks in the limestone, forming underground galleries. By creating a “workshop” nature with its inherent imagination broke “finishing works. They were delayed for tens of thousands of years, bringing joy to our eyes is now a rich palette of colors and a variety of forms. And here the main tool was the water. Seeping along cracks in the arch of the cave, it forms a whole series of calcite stalactites and curtains.
Gelati Monastery of the Virgin near Kutaisi – the most significant medieval monastery of Georgia. Center for Church and cultural life, the residence of the Catholicos, from the second half of the XVI
century,. until 1814. World Heritage Site (1994). The monastery was founded by King David IV the Builder in 1106 and became his mausoleum. The cathedral church was built before 1125 and five years was decorated with mosaics, which honored the best in the whole Caucasus. At that time the monastery was the seat of the Gelati Academy, whose members are keenly interested in ancient Greek philosophy.
In the XIII century to the monastery ensemble added to the Church of St.. Nicholas and St. George, as well as three-tiered belfry. Murals refers to different periods of Georgia history, from the XII to XVIII century, particularly notable portraits of crowned heads. Above the monastery
remained a lot of valuable icons and works of applied art in the Soviet era they were confiscated and distributed to museums.
Temple Bagrat in Kutaisi was erected in the reign of king Bagrat III as the main cathedral of his kingdom, and was consecrated in honor of the Assumption in 1003.
The magnificent size and proportions of the temple became an entirely new word in the history of Transcaucasian architecture, was magnificently decorated with carvings and mosaics and played a crucial role in the medieval history of Georgia. In particular, it is here that David was crowned the Builder.